Saturday, May 7, 2011

Living Out

     While it was not explicitly stated within my Missionem, living incarnationally is what I hope to be the central theme of my Mission Statement. I intend to take the ideals presented and embody them into my everyday life. I thought a good place to start in this would be an act of service--just that.
     When my mom informed me that my ailing grandparents would be traveling alone on a fourteen hour road trip to my cousin's graduation, I considered this the perfect opportunity to serve them. My grandmother suffers from extreme arthritis and Parkinson's disease, making mundane tasks extremely difficult. This would deem a large task such as preparing for a trip nearly impossible. My grandfather suffers from both old age and "ignorant in matters concerning the home," syndrome. He holds the best of intentions. None-the-less, let's just say they could use my help. 
    I called my grandmother about a week ago presenting my idea to help her in any way I could, and I received the exact reaction I expected. "Oh no, honey. Don't you worry about us. I know that you're very busy and tired." She said. "No grandma, I want to do this for you," I persisted. She remained stubborn on the matter, as she has always been reluctant to accept help.  I took a more assertive approach. "I would like you to write me out a list of tasks that you need to complete before the trip. Are you doing anything Monday evening?" I asked. "Well, no but..." she attempted. "Good," I cut her off, "I will see you then. I love you." 
    I arrived at their home Monday evening just as I said and after the initial friendly hello's and brief conversation I got right to work. Surprisingly, my grandmother did indeed create a list, and was willing to allow me to work. Thus began the living out.


  A Spiritual and Physical Spring Cleaning

 Tasks:

Laundry




Taking out the Trash


Housework is something you do that nobody notices until you don't do it.  
~Author Unknown

Sweeping out the Dirt - Literally and 
Figuratively


Rest 



Vacuuming






Some aspects of my Missionem that I saw present were:


                                                     Order and Rhythm 



                                         Beauty in the Commonplace


Being Fully Present in my Pursuits, Passions, and Relationships


One note in my Mission Statement is to "cultivate a nature of reliability and consistency." I also have several mentions of "being faithful." While Monday evening was a good start, I intend to continue intentional service to my Grandparent's regularly. My hope is to fill my time spent with them with conversation, service, love, and rest. This will hopefully result in a seed being planted toward fully living out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment