Friday, June 17, 2011

Taste and See that the Lord is Good




     As the Eucharist marks the pinnacle of each Divine Liturgy, the communicants reverently approach the alter singing, "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him." In this moment is where the offering of thanks, and the partaking of everlasting joy takes place. 




     I have been pondering over continually dipping my cup into this fountain of life that Christ offers not only at the partaking of the Eucharist, but at every minute, and every second of the day. Each time I come to His table with thanksgiving, even in the mundane and the ordinary, I am revisiting the fountain of life, and the partaking of the joy and fullness thereof. 




     This past Tuesday I prepared a meal for my family. Throughout the preparation, I directed my effort toward being mindful and attentive to the arising aromas, the sound of the rolling boil of stew over the stove top, and the vivid and striking colors of the array of ingredients. All this time, I envision the Liturgy. The engaging of senses, the prayers of petition, and the thanksgiving for all good things which come from above. With every keen cut of the pepper, every methodical stir of the bubbling stew, every plate set down on the table, and every satisfying bite, thanksgiving resounds through my being. What a beautiful thing to witness, to taste the fruit of good labor. 




No comments:

Post a Comment