Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Stop and Smell the Flowers



     Often I feel as if my mind is a ticking time bomb, just waiting to explode. It is said that the average human has on average 70,000 different thoughts per day. (I'm convinced it's even more for females.) Our mental activity holds incredible influence over our attitude, our dealings with others, our activities, and even our overall health. Christ emphasizes this idea in Philippians 4:8. 


     "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."


     As I mentioned before, my routinely oriented thought pattern allows little room for spontaneity. While To-Do lists and outlines have their place, Christ desires for us to live, and live abundantly in Him, which often necessitates a life outside of a To-Do list, or legalistic rules.


     One of my favorite prayers (below) reminds me that even in unforeseen events, all things are sent by God. Having the false expectation that all will work out exactly according to plan can get us into a lot of trouble. 




Prayer for the Beginning of the Day

O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace, help me in all things to rely upon your holy will. In every hour of the day reveal your will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that your will governs all. In all my deeds and words, guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by you. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray. And you, yourself, pray in me. Amen.

This prayer releases our own ambitions and expectations for the day, and surrenders our will to His. Christ may beckon us to serve His Kingdom in an unconventional manner. 



So, stop a minute and smell the flowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment